The choice of base layer depends on the climate and activity. There are lots of different materials used in wicking base layers, here are some of them.
Man made fibres -
- pros - they dry quickly and wick well, easy to wash. generally durable.
- cons - they can be prone to odours, polypropylene is particularly renowned and some polyesters and nylons can be pretty stinky. Some have anti odour treatments applied to the material
- pros - very absorbent, wicks well, natural climate control fabric that cools and insulates, inherently warmer than man made fibres and does not suffer from odours
- cons - more expensive than the man made stuff & some prone to shrinking
- Shares many of the properties of wool but is no where near as durable and is now pricey for what it is
More info Merino base layer
More info All Season Base Layer
If you would like more information about wicking base layers please contact us for more information